Saturday, April 20, 2013

Humanism seems pretty dull after reading the three manifestos.


"As Humanists, we urge today, as in the past that humans not look beyond themselves for salvation. We alone are responsible for our own destiny and the best we can do is muster our intelligence, courage and compassion to realize our highest aspirations." - Paul Kurtz, Humanist Manifesto, 2000

That seems pretty hopeless to me.  Being responsible for my own destiny seems like lot of work since I can't see the future and know what tomorrow holds. If I can't see what is going to happen next then it's awful hard to take control of my own destiny. It is true that I can make choices and do the best with what I've got, but ultimately, I don't know how things are going to work out. I don't know if one of my friends is going to get food poisoning in china, I don't know if someone is going to get in a car crash. circumstances change a lot, I can't predict them. I could die in a car crash, that wasn't part of the destiny I tried to take control of.  Taking control of everything is just... pointless since we cant see the end.
I realize my highest aspirations. 1)become as Christlike as humanly possible. 2) become a councilor, but uh, it takes a lot more than realizing our aspirations to make them happen.
needless to say, I am quite content no being a humanist.

No comments: