Wednesday, July 7, 2010

on death and immortality.

If you remotely know me or can just guess from my blog you know I love lord of the rings.
every time I watch the two towers I watch Haldir get killed. it always sparks thought in me. I mean here is this elf and he is dieing in Aragorn's arms. It's just so sad. I mean I look at him and think, I wonder what is he feeling? I mean elves are not supposed to die and here is this elf, dieing. I wonder what he thought. what were his thoughts upon tasting the bitterness of the gift of the one to men? death was so foreign to the elves. they were never meant to die.
but then again...
neither were we.
when adam was placed in the garden he was not going to die; he was, in the sense of the word, "immortal."
But he had to eat the fruit and sin entered and men died. We bacame "mortal."  We were, as humans, never meant to die.
I suppose that is why throughout history discoverers have tried to find the "fountan of youth"
It has always been a desire of man to return to that state in which adam was first formed in the garden of eden and why so many peaple are afraid of death. It is not what was meant to be.
we were never meant to die.
On the other hand our souls do not die with our bodies. they go to heaven or hell.
do you agre with me?

3 comments:

Priscilla said...

Yes, I do agree with you. What do you mean our souls don't die without our bodies? Our souls don't die, they live on and either go to heaven or hell. Was that a spelling error and you wanted to say our souls 'do not die with -our- bodies'? You said "with out"

lauren said...

yup, no wonder mom said to spell check it :)
thanks.

Priscilla said...

Lol.... I was confused for a second, there...! :)