Wednesday, July 28, 2010

was I right to be scared?

A few days ago when I was working (I was alone as usual) in my sandy arena (it’s mine when it’s full of weeds it belongs to Mrs. S when it’s full of weeds) pulling weeds when I happened to glance and the horses in the pasture next to me.

 They had all stopped that were all looking and listening to some thing in one direction.

They were looking beyond me I could tell that. And listening intently.  I looked were they were looking but couldn’t really see anything amiss.

A little while later when I was riding in the sandy arena the pony I was riding, cowboy, stopped and looked in the same direction.  His ears were turned and his whole body felt like it was just listening and he really did not want to go over towards that side of the arena.

Was I right to feel nervous and slightly frightened?

3 comments:

Kerrin Koetsier said...

Hey Haley

There was probably something going on in the bushes or distance that all your horses noticed... sometimes horses are instinctively scared of things that we don't even notice (for example, take a plastic bag blowing in the wind)

So, to answer your question... It obviously depends on what your horse was looking at, but unless it was a snake or a bear, no, I wouldn't be scared of the thing they're scared of. BUT I certainly wouldn't want to be riding a frightened horse, and you have every right to be afraid of a horse that's about to explode!

So what do you think? Do you have a right to feel nervous? And what were you feeling nervous about?

~Kerrin
Parelli Central

Priscilla said...

I think you do have a right to be nervous if your horse is, but don't stay on. Get off until you both can figure it out.

lauren said...

well. I did not see anything that would scare five horses. nothing was defferant from any other day.