Tuesday, November 8, 2011

snowboarding

oh, yes. I. went. snowboarding.
it was amazing. just want to let you know that.I think I have only been to a real ski hill once. my family learned to snowboard down the trails on the mountain which is actually part of a range of mountains. :P I survived the wrecks, crashes, face-plants, injuries and wounded pride that accompany learning the hard way.
and now on my sixth winter I was able to beet the car down the hill on the first trip up there.
yes, we go down the trail; Mom picks us up at the bottom and drives us to the top and we go back down.
Normally I can beat the car down but not normally on the first trip up of the season. I am. happy.
ho yes.
I am happy.
the run was a mile long (we didn't want to risk the longer one so early, we didn't think it would be in great condition) and we beat the car down, despite the all the people, despite the snowboard bindings, despite the pulled muscles. and above all, despite the mountain trying to kill me by tripping me and inverting me into a snowbank!!!!
yes, snowboarding is amazing, my friend. sliding down the mountain, snow in you eyes and hair, the air rushing past and making you cry and freezing your already frozen cheeks while you whiz around trees and roots and try to avoid jumps that you can't see and not get taken out my monstrously evil trees or other punks.

some days the sky is clear and bright and you can see where you are going and life is amazing and you are doing your best hitting ever jump that is in you way except the eight foot one that you watched your brother go off (that didn't turn out well, why i've avoided it) and you feel like you are beating you best time and it's just amazing but then there is other days....

days were heaven meets earth in an intimate kiss.... and you are literally blinded by the sight if you are not wearing goggles.
well, not literally but those are the days when it's really cloudy and it's snowing so hard you can hear the snow rattling off the dead leaves that still cling to the trees all around. On those days if you are not wearing goggles or sunglasses or some sort of eye protection then the main objective of the run is no longer speed or tricks or anything else in particular but SURVIVING!!  I mean when your going down and the snow insists on blowing into your eyes so you are always blinking or wiping your eyes or just leaving them closed (not something I recommend)  that's when all the evil rocks rise up out of the ground and set themselves in your path so that your board hits them and the next think you know you are inverted in a snowbank so that your legs and board are sticking up out of the ground towards the sky like some sort of strange tree and you find that being frosty the snowman is highly overrated and why white washing little kids is a pastime of school bullies. :)
those days are the best.

Well dear reader if you have managed to get through this entire post and make sense of it than I congratulate you. have a meddle.
Haley

No comments: